Friday, November 09, 2007

Vietnam - Arrival

After relaxing for 2 weeks in Melbourne with family and friends, I set off on a 10 hour plane ride to Ho Chi Minh city. The flight, on a Vietnam Airlines plane was very smooth, full credit to the pilots. However, the in-flight entertainment, for want of a better word was a little lacking for the 10 hours. By about the 4th hour, and I had only been awake for 1 hour, I was getting really bored. Not being able to understand the Vietnamese TV that was being shown, I resorted to the drastic. Talking to the guy next to me. Never managed to catch his name, but he was a really nice Vietnamese bloke who lived in Melbourne and was going back to Vietnam to visit his relatives and retrieve his elderly grandma who had been there for 4 weeks. We chatted about the usual things, the weather, what to do in Vietnam, how cheap everything was and then about each others lives. He was an interesting fellow, married with 2 kids, lived in Paris for 4 years and worked in a bank. Never really caught the name of the bank but then again, I only caught about half the conversation, but that was enough. Surprisingly, we managed to talk about rubbish for nearly the entire flight.

Anyway, after lumbering through the airport, I was met by Mr Gioi, the driver of the KPMG van. It had a HUGE KPMG logo on the side and front, so it was not hard to miss. We plodded on through the sea of bikes. You will never appreciate the sheer number of these noisy little Honda's until you experience it for yourself. Like a swarm of ants, these little things dart around seemingly chaotic trails, yet manage to get to their destinations in one piece.

We arrived at my apartment to discover it was a hotel. I had a small room, with no cooking facilities to speak of, no iron, a really hard uncomfortable bed and a that's about it. Very student like I believe is the word. I am not sure that I can live here for 3 months. Words need to be had with the authorities I believe.


Not being able to cook my Indomee, I gave up and went to bed at 8pm feeling rather annoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need to have words with kpmg vietnam! this is unacceptable!

Unknown said...

What's the word on Indomee arbitrage? Does it cost less than 19p per packet?

I am conducting my own strudy at the moment cos the versions sold in Aus, vis-a vis the version sold in S'pore and M'sia have different seasoning styles.