Friday, November 09, 2007

Vietnam - Day 1

First day. I woke up to the sound of little Honda horns blaring away and looked at the time....6:15am. Oh boy.

Anyway after surfing the net for 2 hours or so I had a tim tam (actually 2) for breakfast and a glass of water and decided to hit the town. Well truth be told, I tried to have a shower first but there was no water pressure so I gave up.

The street I am on is called Le Thanh Ton, it has lots of restaurants and is very central. I wandered down and saw PHO 2000. It was supposed to be a famous PHO chain that Bill Clinton ate at when he was in Vietnam. So I went in. The PHO here is twice as expensive as the ones on the street but the servings are also twice as big. So it evens out.

It was rather nice I must say. Not quite as good a Melbourne Pho, but still rather tasty. At 29,000 DONG for the large serve (less than USD$2 or 90p in my currency) it was pretty good. It also passed the stomach test with flying colours.

I wandered around town for a bit and was chased, well not really chased by a persistent man on a Honda offering to take me around the city for USD$3 per hour. He even produced a written testimony from his friend "Chris" from Tokyo/Japan/Melbourne saying how good he was. Nice try buddy...





Anyway, after wandering around a bit, the heat got to me so went to the Tax Trading Centre and bought some DVD's for a buck a piece so I could retire to the hotel and watch em in air conditioned relative comfort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pho looks fantastic! i can't wait to get there!!! what is that boy selling?? did you try it??

Anon said...

The boy was selling coconut milk. Stomach not ready to try that yet.